Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Chapter Five: Awake My Soul

Distractions and a roaring lion.

I have to say I don't have too many distractions these days. I can relate to days past but for the present I am only dealing with the lion.

I thought I was alert, careful. Yet here he is, roaring for all he is right at my front door. 

Unfortunately I am acquainted with him. I remember years ago when he came for me. The circumstances of my life could not have been more different than they are now. He came just the same.

He came saying all kinds of ugly things, things that for too long I took onto myself and stuffed into my closet. 

At the time I was a young girl armed only with my salvation in Christ. I had not grown up attending church or bible study to learn how to fully arm myself. I did however have the "helmet of salvation" and the "sword of the spirit". 

I look back on that time with clarity now.

 As I was in the midst, there were dark times. Times of fear, contemplations of suicide, self destruction. Yet there were also many expressions of God's unconditional love for me. My mother who steadfastly prayed for me. Friends who came alongside and loved me. There was also a time of oppression  that I believe I heard almost audibly the voice of the Holy Spirit protecting me. It was not too long after that when God worked circumstances to bring Paul to me. 

He was the beginning of God's calling me to Himself. Paul was a born again believer in Jesus. Unlike me he had enjoyed years of teaching, and growth. He was a solid young man. 
How he fell in love with me has been a mystery to me for many years. I used to tell him that God gave him rose colored glasses that he wears only when he looks at me.

My love for Paul was good, it was from God. His love for me was also. The lion was still there. Suddenly his roars were ineffective. They held no power over the love God had blessed me with.  In time he left.

There was a time years later when he showed up so unexpectedly. At first as he caught me off guard the roars were loud!! This time was different though. I had armor,

Ephesians 6: 14-17

"Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit which is the word of God." 

I used it. Quickly the roars were snuffed out. God gave me a beautiful picture afterwards.

I was in a tremendous castle with a door fifty feet tall. I could hear pounding but it was faint because of the width of the door. I was safe. 

I am still safe. 

5 comments:

Heather said...

God has used you so much in my life.

The Dementia Nurse said...

"I could hear pounding, but it was faint because of the width of the door."

Well said, Tina! I see our times together in Blogland as one way we thicken that door. I am so happy to be making the journey with you:)

Liz said...

You are safe!
Finally got my post up and came to read yours...we used the same scripture! Thank you for reminding me where those thoughts come from.

Carol said...

Tina, your writing is so full of your heart. What a gift God has given you in how you share your love of Him with others.

Keep on your armor, and stand behind that wide door my friend, God will keep you, you are His precious child.

Love you,
Carol

pam said...

What a wonderful post. Safety is a wonderous feeling. Safe in His arms, safe as He goes before us, safe as He carries us....mmmm