Friday, March 6, 2009

Chill Out: Be at Rest, O my Soul

this is really late, better late than never I always say (spoken by a true procrastinator) 

In chapter nine of Self Talk Soul Talk the author Jennifer Rothschild talks about the importance of rest for ourselves, physically and spiritually.

What wonderful confirmation this chapter has been for me! 

Her words are in red. She writes "when we are physically and emotionally spent and worn, we become susceptible to the enemy's attack. We become easy targets, sitting ducks. Our enemy attacks us with despair, depression, illness, impatience and myriad other maladies. all results of a fatigued soul and body. Speaking rest to our souls is critical."

Boy don't I know it!! For the past seven weeks I have been in the midst of a storm the likes of which I have never seen and honestly hope to never see again. 

I loved the teaching in Genesis that "Each of the six days of creation clearly had a beginning and  an end; evening and morning. But the seventh day, the day God rested, was different. The Bible records no beginning and no end of that day" (Genesis 2:2-3)

In other words, God did not begin to rest, nor did He cease to rest. Ancient rabbinic scholars believed this was because the nature of God is eternal rest.

You see, rest isn't just what God did. Rest is who God is."

WOW! Yes! 

Many people I have spoken to in recent days have made comments to me like "I don't know how you are doing this" or "you are so strong". The truth is I am not doing this, and I am not strong at all (actually if truth be told I am rather wimpy). God is my strength and my rest. 

Several months ago my husband and I applied for a home equity loan hoping to do some home improvement projects. We were denied, our home assessed too low due to the failing real estate market. We were disappointed. At the time I was working part time. Since then several life changing events have taken place that have shook the foundations of our family to the core. I made the decision to not return to work so I could spend more time here with the boys and before God in prayer. We were able to refinance our home mortgage and the money saved through that combined with a timely raise in my husbands salary has equalled the amount my part time job brought in. 

Coincidence? I don't think so. 

God in his sovereignty has made it possible for me to rest, plain and simple. 

He is good!


3 comments:

Lighthouse Prayer Line said...

Hi Tina,

Great post! We've come to find out that there are no coincidences with God.

If you her the opportunity, would you please say a prayer over the requests on the main page of our site?

God bless you and your family,

Mark, Lynn, Brooke & Carley
www.LighthousePrayerLine.org

ps - Please consider following our blog or link to us by grabbing one of our free ble buttons (top sidebar). :)

TeriAnnElizabeth said...

Dear Tina,
Thank you for your sweet, encouraging words today. They came at just the right time, too.
GOD is always at work in HIS children's lives.

I am going to continue on with that testimony to HIS grace. The truth is I should be a man hating, church hating atheist. By HIS grace alone, I love HIM, my husband and I even have a church family and a minister that I trust and love.

NOTHING and NO ONE could have done that except a miraculous grace of GOD. Especially when grace was not even offered in the churches or even in the Christians I first encountered.

GOD is bigger than all of the people who presume to know for HIM and have HIM all figured out in a box.

Bless you, Tina and I will pray for you and whatever you may be going through.

I lived near you in my time "spent in the pit", by the way..:-)
Not that Chesapeake is a pit! I just lived in the OBX and traveled your way alot.

Love and prayers,
Teri

Carol said...

Wow Tina,

What a great post. I don't believe in coincidences, God knows what we need and when we'll need it. It's His timing, and it's always perfect.

Glad He's giving you the time you need to spend with Him and your boys.

Hugs,
Carol