Sunday, September 6, 2009

Do it already

Have you ever had that feeling? You know the one. When you feel the urge to do something in the name of Jesus.

Maybe to let your pastor know you appreciate him and that you are praying for him and his family. Perhaps  dropping in on an elderly church member just to chat. You're not really sure if it is a prompting of the Holy Spirit or not. Regardless, it is a good deed. Something you would like if done to you.

Yet ..... time goes by and for whatever of a million reasons. Kids ball game after work, deadlines, laundry, bible study group preparation. You just don't do it.

What am I  afraid of? Why is it that I sometimes don't "just do it"? Is it busyness? Rejection?  Rather than just going to it, I worry too much about how my action will be perceived. How I will be perceived.

God has been dealing with me on this very subject for some time now. So I finally decided to "just do it" the next time that feeling came upon me. God, ever patient. Has given me several opportunities over the last few weeks.

I have to laugh at myself because even as I write this I think "this sounds somewhat self serving ... as if I am giving myself a pat on the back." I am not but yet the thought is there, that second thought trying to push me to abandon this post. Yet I know this is a valid subject to be tossed out for pondering.

and guess what? It is all good. It is not about me or how I will be perceived. It is all Him. To God be the glory!!

JUST DO IT!

John 3:30
He must become greater, I must become less.

No comments: